Silvia’s Mexican Tuna Salad

by Silvia on March 14, 2012 · 23 comments

in Food / Comida, Recipes / Recetas

Tostadas de Ensalada de Atún

Tuna has always been one of my favorite foods; it is versatile, I can buy it almost anywhere, and it is delicious.  My boys also eat it with gusto. I created this recipe when I wanted to have a light and nutritious meal without sacrificing flavor. This one is a winner. Perfect for Lent or on any hot day. Everyone loves it, I hope you will too!

(Husband’s Note: Hello Everyone, I have never injected myself into one of Silvia’s posts before, but I just have to on this one. Before Silvia created this recipe I was not a fan of tuna salad at all.  She had to persuade me to try it the first time and I did reluctantly.  Hear me now!  This recipe is incredible. Don’t let the humble ingredients and ease of preparation fool you.  I can’t really explain it, the freshness, the sweet and savory balance, the different textures, the colors, whatever…it is just really good.  And one last thing that makes it even more appealing.  My boys love it!! They don’t even blink at all those yummy, nutritious veggies, beautifully inexplicable because with other dishes, they spend a lot of time inspecting and picking things out. I’m done.  Thanks.  Please return to your regular programming.)

Silvia’s Mexican Tuna Salad

8 Portions
  • 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 1 cup of fresh chopped cilantro
  • 1 serrano pepper finely chopped (or more if you want it spicier, or you can omit it if you don’t like it)
  • 2 – 3 medium limes, juice only
  • 2 cans (6oz) Tuna in water, drained.  I like Bumble Bee.
  • 4 Tablespoons of ketchup
  • 2 celery stalks, finely chopped (very important ingredient, don´t omit if you can help it!)
  • 1 green bell pepper finely chopped (or yellow or red )
  • 1 cup frozen sweet peas
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • salt to taste
  • 1 medium iceberg lettuce finely chopped
  • 2 avocados
  • Tostadas
Combine in a bowl the onion, tomato, and serrano pepper.

Jitomate, Cebolla y Chile

Add lime juice, tuna, ketchup and cilantro. Set aside.

Atún, jitomate, chile, cebolla y salsa catsup

Defrost sweet peas and corn following microwave directions from their package; let them cool down. Add celery, green peppers, sweet peas, and corn, to onion-tomato mixture. Salt to taste.

Elotes, Pimientos y Apio

Mix well, chill for 15-30 minutes.

Ensalada de Atún

Just before serving add lettuce and avocado.  Serve on tostadas or with saltine crackers.

Tostadas de Ensalada de Atún

¡Buen provecho!

I invite you to check out other yummy recipes from my fellow blogueras.

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

March 14, 2012 at 9:41 am Melissa Froehner 1

Yum, Silvia! Sounds delicious, can’t wait to try it!

March 14, 2012 at 9:49 am Silvia 2

Hi Melissa, thanks for your comment. Please, come back and leave me a comment telling me how you like it!

March 14, 2012 at 11:41 am Mayito Castillo 3

Uuummm!!!! Se ve super deliciosa. Me encantan todos los ingredientes de esta ensalada, El atun, el maiz, apio, cilantro, pimiento, salsa de tomate, aguacate, cebolla, hacen una perfecta conbinacion.
Como para chuparse los dedos! ….. Gracias Silvia por deleitarnos el paladar.

March 14, 2012 at 4:27 pm Silvia 4

Hola Mayito, gracias por tu comentario. Si la haces cuéntame tu opinión ok?

March 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm Julie (Ginger) 5

I too am a tunaphile! This sounds amazing!! Can’t wait to try it!

March 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm Silvia 6

Thanks for your comment Julie!

March 14, 2012 at 5:35 pm natalie 7

this looks to die for!!! my kids would love it!!! must try thank you for sharing it!!

March 14, 2012 at 11:00 pm Silvia 8

Thanks Natalie and you’re welcome! Come back and let me know how it goes.

March 14, 2012 at 9:43 pm Deborah Stambler 9

Ketchup & tuna! I’ll trust you on this one, but I won’t tell my kids until after they try it and declare it muy bueno.

March 14, 2012 at 10:57 pm Silvia 10

I know, I know, but don’t worry, it will be ok, and it is necessary to balance the acid from the lime juice, tomatoes, etc. Thanks for your comment.

March 14, 2012 at 10:31 pm Megan 11

I love tuna. Pinning for sure!

March 14, 2012 at 11:02 pm Silvia 12

Thanks Megan, pin away….I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

March 14, 2012 at 10:38 pm Jamie 13

Oh yum! Mexican Tuna Salad!? *bookmarked!*

March 14, 2012 at 11:04 pm Silvia 14

Thanks for the comment Jamie, come back and let me know if you find it as yummy as we do.

March 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm Amber, RD 15

This sounds great! I love tuna salad, but my husband is not a fan. I think I could get him to eat this! Thanks for sharing!

March 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm Jessica Gottlieb 16

Ooh and in short while you’ll be able to make that with fresh corn… which will make it explode in your mouth.

March 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm Vanessa 17

Wow this looks so yummy! pinned it! And love the blog design!

March 16, 2012 at 2:46 am Caryn B 18

Silvia…that looks awesome! Pinning!

March 17, 2012 at 10:43 pm Dariela 19

My gosh, this looks very yummy and easy. La voy a probar y Te cuento como me va!!

March 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm Sue-Helen 20

me encanto! (sin el ketchup, pero muy rico). usualmente me gusta cocinar recetas que son super faciles para hacer entre semana y tu receta me encanto Silvia!

August 1, 2013 at 4:15 pm Alli 21

wow… this was delicious. i never liked tuna salad before either, but then I tried this! :) My only change was making it with Yellowfin. Thanks for the great recipe!

August 12, 2015 at 6:31 pm Linda 22

OMG! This is fantastic! I like tuna and love recipes with a little “kick” (spice or heat) and this recipe is absolutely delicious! I left the seeds in the serranos for a little extra zing and used some sweet baby bell peppers that I had in the fridge instead of the green pepper. Definitely use fresh cilantro! I considered using a cube or two of the Dorot frozen cilantro but “splurged” on fresh cilantro (it was less than $1 at the local grocery store). I decided to test the recipe by halving it and now wish I would have doubled it! Seriously! It is THAT good! Spread on a gluten-free tostada (which most are), it is an amazing addition to my collection of quick and easy GF recipes….even if I wasn’t watching my gluten intake, I would absolutely include this in my regular rotation of meals. This also makes a great brown bag lunch! If you’re worried about the avacado browning before lunchtime, bring a single serve Wholly Guacamole instead. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

September 3, 2015 at 10:26 am Silvia 23

Hello Linda, thank you so much for your comment. Always makes me really happy when my readers try my recipes and enjoy them. Definitely this salad is one of our favorites. Thanks for the tip about the wholly guacamole serving to go with it. And thanks again for your kind words.