Esta entrada también está disponible en: Español
This spicy lime granita is a hit in our house. So simple, so fast, so tasty. We love lime and chile so it was a match made in heaven. There’s nothing like a fresh, delicious lime granita on a warm day.
I recommend making them one day in advance so the ice cubes are very firm; however, you can also do it the same day, just freeze ice cubes for at least 3 hours.
RELATED POST: Tropical Granita
If you are a big fan of spicy foods, mix the chile-lime powder with the lime agua fresca, the result will be a sweet, salty, and spicy lime granita. If you want less spiciness, then freeze the agua fresca and sugar mixture, then top with a little bit of the chile-lime seasoning before serving. In our house, we always prepare a combination of both.
Spicy Lime Granita
Makes 4 portions
- 4 cups of lime agua fresca, check the recipe here.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-4 teaspoons of chile-lime seasoning (there are a number of brands you can buy near the fruit in the grocery store)
You will also need
- 2 ice cubes trays
- Food processor. If you don’t own one you can use a blender, but make sure to just blend for a couple of seconds. Open it up, mix the ice, and blend again until desired consistency.
I recommend getting a food processor if you don’t have one. They are very useful, not just for granitas, but also to make pesto, hummus, salsas and even smoothies. I own a Ninja® Master Prep® (and yes, while this is not a sponsored post, this is an affiliate link. Baby needs a new pair of shoes! LOL!…and it helps me bring more easy recipe ideas to you.) it looks like this:
I absolutely love it and I use it every day. Check the end of this post where there are even more options.
RELATED POST: Lime ice pops
Mix agua fresca and sugar. Depending on your preference you can do any of the following:
- Fill up the trays with the agua fresca. After freezing, sprinkle the chile-lime seasoning on top before serving.
- Mix chile-lime seasoning and agua fresca together before freezing and fill the trays.
- A combination of both. Mix 2 teaspoons of chile-lime seasoning and 2 cups of lime agua fresca, fill up one tray. Then, fill up the second tray with just the agua fresca and sprinkle chile-lime seasoning at the end.
Freeze for at least 3 hours or until firm. Overnight is better.
Place the ice cubes in a food processor and pulse 3-4 times or until the cubes break up. Sprinkle the granita that did not have seasoning with chile-lime seasoning. Serve immediately.
So as promised, here are a few food processor ideas if you are looking to buy one. (These are also affiliate links 😉