Esta entrada también está disponible en: Español
Thanks to Dole® Packaged Foods and #WeAllGrow Latina Network for making this recipe post possible. As always my comments, opinions and love for fruit are my own.
One of my fondest memories from childhood was going with my cousins to get an ice cream or a shaved ice after school. We would laugh, talk about the day, and enjoy our cool, sweet treats as we walked home.
Years later, my own boys had the chance to experience the same tradition with their cousins in Mexico. Four years ago, we moved to Mexico for a school year, and my husband, of course, made friends with the guy at the ice cream cart. Needless to say, two or three times a week he bought ice cream cones for our boys and their cousins while they were walking home from school. Now they, like me, look back on those times with great joy and nostalgia.
RELATED POST: Apple Strawberry Multigrain Breakfast Muffins
Sadly, we don’t have ice cream carts or shaved ice in our neighborhood now, but this doesn’t mean we can’t be creative and do something about it.
I was looking to surprise my boys with something cool and sweet that would be reminiscent of that time in Mexico. I wanted to make something for the first week of school. So when I was organizing the cupboard in preparation for back-to-school, looking to see what I have and what I still needed, it occurred to me that I could put together a couple of products I already had to create a yummy granita. I realized I could use a can of 100% pineapple juice…
… and a can of tropical fruit that includes pineapple, papaya, and passion fruit.
RELATED POST: Pineapple Pear Salad with Yogurt Dressing
A granita is an Italian-style ice made by combining fruit and juice, then freezing them together, then chopping it up. I never thought I could prepare something so tasty, so quickly and so easily. You don’t even need a shaved-ice machine, just a blender and two ice trays.
This tropical granita is healthy and delicious, and perfect for a snack either after school or as a dessert. It’s an ideal way to add fruit to the daily menu that’s easy, fun, and tasty.
Try it, you won’t regret it!
Makes 4-5 portions
Prep time: 3 minutes
From start to finish: 10 minutes + 6 hours of freeze time
- 1 can (15.25 oz) Dole® Tropical Fruit
- 2 cups Dole® 100% Pineapple Juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Fresh mint or spearmint to garnish, optional
1. Mix fruit, pineapple juice, lime juice, and honey until well blended.
2. Pour into two ice cubes trays.
3. Freeze for 6 hours, or until firm. Overnight is better
4. Place the tropical ice cubes in a food processor and pulse 3-4 times or until the cubes break up. Serve immediately.
If you want to prepare the granita for the same day, do the following:
Freeze ice cubes for 2 and a half hours. Take them out the freezer and insert a fork into each cube, several times to break the ice. Return to freezer for 45 minutes.
Break ice cubes with fork and serve immediately.
More Delicious Tips
- Try adding one or two ice cubes made from Dole tropical fruit in a glass of water to chill with a fresh taste.
- Add popsicle sticks to the tropical fruit cubes as they freeze to make popsicles.
- Use other Dole Packaged Foods like mango, pineapple, and mandarin oranges to create different flavors.
- For more recipes, handcrafts and inspiration, visit the Dole® Packaged Foods here. It’s fun!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Dole. The opinions and text are all mine.