My kids love cereal and chocolate milk, it’s their favorite breakfast. It’s also their favorite snack and merienda (the name we give to the bedtime snack). For me it’s a quick, convenient, nutritious and delicious breakfast that works great on chaotic mornings. On mornings when I have a little more time, I give them a little something extra in addition to their cereal and chocolate milk, like mini-tortas. So today, I’m sharing how I put them together. They are super easy!
Egg and Bean Breakfast Mini-Tortas
Portions: this depends on how many tortas your family will eat, if you have mini-bolillos (Mexican style rolls), I would count two per adult, one per small child.
- Mini bolillos, standard size bolillos, or teleras*
- Cooked or refried beans
- Salsa Verde (Green salsa) (if you like a little bit of spice)
Fresh bolillos are the best, but if they feel a little bit hard to the touch, you can toast them a little on a comal or pan on top of the stove, or in a toaster oven. Cut each bolillo in half horizontally.
Warm the beans and start frying one egg at a time. Spread beans on the bottom half of the bolillo and add the egg on top of the beans. Cut a few slices of avocado and spread them on the top half of the bolillo.
Add a little salsa verde** on top of the egg, then sprinkle a little salt on top of the avocado and that’s it! Fast and oh so delicious!
* If you cannot get bolillos or teleras, you can use french rolls or baguettes, it won’t taste the same, but they will be yummy, too.
** Or try my avocado salsa (it is like salsa verde and avocado all at once!)
- Ponche Fruit Atole Recipe - March 3, 2023
- Quince Agua Fresca - November 21, 2022
- Yes, I’m Silvia Martinez, Winner of The Great American Recipe. Yay! - July 11, 2022
These look yummy. Really really yummy. Tks for the recipe. May also include this one in the next roundup.