Thanks to Dole® Packaged Foods and Latina Bloggers Connect for making this recipe possible. As always, my comments, opinions and love for fruit are my own.
Breakfast can be challenging on school days. Especially challenging the first week back to school when we are re-establishing our routine after summer vacation. Breakfast is important, too, as we all know, so I like to have a few options to choose from each day depending on how we’re doing on time.
One of my favorite choices to go with breakfast is a plate of muffins:
They’re perfect because
- You can make them ahead of time
- Kids can eat them as a part of their breakfast for several days in a row
- They are easy to transport (when we’re really running late)
- Kids can help serve them at breakfast time
- And in reality, they can be eaten with breakfast, lunch, or as a snack, just in case I get behind schedule at any time.
That is why, today, I’m sharing my recipe for Apple-Strawberry Multigrain Muffins.
Did you know apple puree is a great butter or oil substitute* for baked goods? Substituting half the fat in a recipe with apple puree is not only a healthier option, but makes your recipes moist and yummy, according to the Mayo Clinic.
That’s exactly what I did in this recipe. I went to my pantry, took out a box of fruitocracy™ squeezable fruit pouches (fruitocracy™ is made by Dole® Packaged Foods in several flavor combinations) and I mixed them in. The muffins were deliciously moist and my kitchen smelled like apples for hours. I hope you like them.
Apple Strawberry Multigrain Breakfast Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
From start to finish: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 box Dole® fruitocracy™ squeezable fruit pouches Apple-Strawberry (4 pouches)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of milk
Pre-heat oven to 375 F
1. Grease a 12-muffin baking pan, or cover with cupcake liners.
1. Mix all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and ground cinnamon. Leave aside.
2. Whip eggs and oil together. Pour contents of the 4 fruitocracy pouches, sugar and milk into the egg mixture. Mix well.
3. Combine dry ingredients with liquid ingredients slowly, stirring until just moist. Please don’t overmix. The batter should be lumpy.
4. Pour batter evenly among the muffin cups.
5. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the muffins.
6. Take them out of the oven and let them rest for 5 minutes before taking them out the baking pan. Let them cool down on a rack.
Sprinkle with a cinnamon-sugar mix if you like and enjoy.
The fruitocracy™ pouches are also great on their own at any time. My sons like them in their lunchboxes because they are fast and easy to eat, which give them more time to play at recess. I like them because they are made with real fruit and don’t have added sugar or high-fructose corn syrup.
For more recipes, handcrafts and inspiration, visit the Dole Packaged Foods website. It’s fun!
Happy Back to School Season!
*Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/healthy-recipes/art-20047195