Calling all Marvel and superhero fans! A secret mission took me to the LA set of the new and highly anticipated Captain Marvel movie (opening in theaters tomorrow, March 8th, 2019). And today I'm sharing what I learned about Captain Marvel, Nick Fury and a cat named Goose from the Directors, producers and production team.
But first, I have to tell you, yes, I got to meet Brie Larson (insert a big scream here) and Samuel L. Jackson (insert the biggest smile ever here), and the famous cat.
RELATED POST: A New Heroine in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
Here we are below, Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) is in the back, Brie Larson (Captain Marvel) front row right, Directors Ryan Fleck & Anna Boden in the center front, Executive Producer Jonathan Schwartz in the third row, and Reggie (Goose), the cat in the second row. Me? Right in the middle in white!
About the Captain Marvel's Set
The set is everything you might imagine and more. Humongous stages with hundreds of people building sets, transportation trucks moving from one side to the other and big trailers full of costumes, props, and galactic blasters like these.
RELATED POST: Avengers: Infinity War Gift Guide
The blasters look very heavy but they are actually quite light. Don't we look fierce? See one in action here:
Walking through the massive sets made me feel I was part of the action. But wait, I was!
I know, terrifying!
Captain Marvel Movie Facts
During our visit we learned exciting facts about the movie. Let's see which surprise you the most.
- Captain Marvel is the first female superhero movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. About time I'd say!!
- Film shooting for Captain Marvel started on March 17th, 2018.
- Most of the shooting, with the exception of 10 days in Louisiana, took place in Los Angeles. Cast and crew shared with us the joy they felt being able to go home every day.
- You may wonder if Captain Marvel is a period piece, and you'd be right. Captain Marvel takes place in the '90s.
- Since the setting of Captain Marvel pre-dates all Marvel Cinematic Universe movies so far, you shouldn't be too surprised to see Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) with hair and two healthy eyes. No eye patch here.
- Brie Larson did most all her stunts in the movie.
- All the walls on the sets can be removed, so the crew can open spaces and push cameras into the action. Isn't that cool?
- The costume department keeps multiple versions of every outfit for each member of the cast, but they are not all the same. They each go through a different aging process to fit different scenes and periods in the movie.
- Captain Marvel's production team reused lots of previous Marvel movies sets and props, i.e. the spaceship called the QuadJet is a mash-up between the Quinjet from Avengers 1 and the Quinjet from Captain America: Civil War.
- Brie is allergic to cats; however, she has quite a few scenes with Goose, the cat.
- Goose plays a significant roll in the film (in the words of the producer “the biggest role for any Marvel Cinematic Universe animal to date”) and was played by 4 different cats, Archie, Gonzo, Rizzo and last, but not least, Reggie, who we met at the set.
What do you think? Now you are in the know!
Now get ready because Captain Marvel opens tomorrow in theaters, who is going?
Marvel Movie List in Order
Want to watch all Marvel movies previous to Captain Marvel? To make your life easier, here they are in order, with links if you’re looking to purchase them (these are affiliate links, of course!). Have fun!
- Iron Man (or the Iron Man trilogy here)
- The Incredible Hulk
- Iron Man 2
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Marvel’s The Avengers
- Iron Man 3
- Thor: The Dark World
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Captain America: Civil War
- Doctor Strange
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Spider-Man: Homecoming
- Thor: Ragnarok
- Black Panther and
- Avengers Infinity War