Piper, the new Disney Pixar short, plays before the feature film Finding Dory when it opens in theaters this Friday, June 17, 2016.
Directed by Alan Barillaro and produced by Marc Sondheimer, Piper tells the story of a hungry baby sandpiper. The hatchling ventures from her nest for the first time to dig for food by the shoreline. Almost immediately, she discovers food buried beneath the sand. Unfortunately, she discovers it in the exact location where scary waves roll up the shore.
Recently, I made a visit to the Monterey Bay Aquarium to learn more about “Finding Dory.” At that event, a group of us had an interesting chat with Alan Barillaro. Afterward, we got to see a sneak peek of the new, adorable short.
I absolutely loved it. It’s cute, of course, and includes all the magic you’d expect from Disney Pixar animators. But also, the story strikes very close to home. We live near the beach, so we love seeing sandpipers, curlews, and willets running in front of the foamy water as it splashes up the beach each day. Alan Barillaro told us,“I always find sandpipers really entertaining…they always feel like a character to me…,” and I completely understand that feeling.
Barillaro gave us a few interesting facts about Piper:
- The story tells of the relationship between a mother and her child, but from the child’s point of view.
- In order to decide which cameras to use to film the short, animators had to answer the question, “what does the world feel like when you are 4 inches tall?”
- Everything in the film is a character, the sandpipers, the water, the bubbles, even the feathers.
- Animators added between 4-7 million feathers to each bird to make them fluffy.
- The birds’ sounds are real bird tweets, guitars, and styrofoam!
Sneak Peak from Piper
Now for a sneak peek (If you are reading this post via email and cannot see the video, just click on the title of this post at the top of your email to go to Mama Latina Tips to see them):
Barillaro’s goal, to tell a story visually and quickly while making it both easy to understand and humorous, was expertly achieved.
Don’t forget! Piper and Finding Dory arrive in theaters this Friday, June 17th. Enjoy the trailer:
See you at the movies.
- Ponche Fruit Atole Recipe - March 3, 2023
- Quince Agua Fresca - November 21, 2022
- Yes, I’m Silvia Martinez, Winner of The Great American Recipe. Yay! - July 11, 2022