My kids and I go to México almost every year. We want our kids to visit and know their Mexican family and immerse themselves in the language, music, food, natural wonders and culture of Mexico.
Today I have three recommendations for places to consider when planning a trip to Mexico:
México City, one of the biggest cities in the world, offers everything for families. A few years ago we stayed in the
Polanco area, where we took a turi-bus, a red bus that makes stops at principal attractions in the area. They have a daily fare that allows you to get in and out as many times as you want. You can visit the Zocalo, Papalote Museo del Niño (A hands on children’s museum called The Kite), the Chapultepec Zoo, Anthropology and History Museum (Where the iconic Aztec Calender resides), restaurants, etc.
Guanajuato, nestled in the mountains of El Bajío and centrally located in the country, has an international airport just 20 minutes away. This historic city features cultural events for the whole family, including street performers, concerts, and theater. Enjoy the architecture, museums, and parks, too. You can walk pretty much everywhere, or take the bus.
Riviera Maya: Do you like the beach? Do you like history? Well, the Mayan Riviera has the best of both worlds. Just some of the attractions in the region include Archeological cities like Tulum and Chichen Itzá, beautiful beaches like Cancún and Playa del Carmen, and an array of activities including snorkeling, kayaking, swimming with dolphins, ecotourism activities, and much more. One place you cannot miss and must take your kids to is Xcaret, read everything about this magical place here.
También lee: Tips para Ahorrar Dinero en tus ViajesTulum. Pic by Jamidwyer
A few more tips:
– When flying with kids, it is even more important than ever to try to fly to the closest airport possible. México has more than 55 international airports and a lot more national airports. If you can get a direct flight even better.
– Some airports provide transportation in first class buses, these buses are comfortable, offer food, and show family movies.
– Look for restaurants that offer “comida corrida,” the prices are often very reasonable and include multi-course meals. If you are in Guanajuato try Truco 7, it is affordable and delicious and the music is always good.
– Traveling with kids always creates some stress, try to take it easy, keep expectations realistic, and go with the flow, everybody will be happier. One time I didn’t bring any toys for my kids to play with and we were sitting in a cafe in Guanajuato. My older son found a boy to play with and they played “soccer” with an empty water bottle. He had the time of his life.
Disclosure: Thank you to the México Today Program for making this post possible. All stories, opinions, and passion for all things México shared here are completely my own.
- Ponche Fruit Atole Recipe - March 3, 2023
- Quince Agua Fresca - November 21, 2022
- Yes, I’m Silvia Martinez, Winner of The Great American Recipe. Yay! - July 11, 2022
Just wanted to thank you for the Winnie the Pooh gift set. My granddaughter will be so excited.