To México, with Love

by Silvia on June 30, 2011 · 10 comments

in Noticias / News

Para español da click aquí.

As you probably well know, I was born and raised in México, the beautiful.  I came to America, the beautiful, 10 years ago and even though I now make my home in California and love my adopted country, Mexico will always live in my soul.

Each year I go back mainly to visit my family (and so my children can meet and get to know all of their Mexican family), to see my friends and acquaintances, but also to recharge my batteries with Mexican food, Mexican culture, Mexican color.  Each time I go I feel at home, I’m surrounded by wonderful memories and I am reminded of my essence.

My boys love to go to México and I love that they love to go!  They are happiest running around the gazebo in “el jardin” ( literally “the garden,” but in this case I’m referring to the central town square like those found in most every Mexican town), or eating ice cream or fruit with chile in town, or dipping Mexican pastries in Mexican style hot chocolate every night, not to mention the piñatas, water parks, and family get-togethers.  It warms my heart to see them spending time with my family and happily embracing all our cultural traditions.

I really miss my Mexico….

However, life is always full of surprises and has given me a gift I never imagined, a special opportunity to share my love and passion for the home of my childhood and all the fantastic things it has to offer.  A couple of weeks ago, I received a call that has brightened my life.  I was invited to be part of México Today.

México Today is a program sponsored by both the private sector and the government of Mexico, using 24 diverse writers, all sharing their passion for México through articles, videos, and pictures, which is intended to be a window for the world to see the beauty and magic of México.  The program was launched officially five days ago from the enchanting city of Oaxaca (sounds like wah-hah-kah), where all the ambassadors met to get to know each other in person.

I’ve always felt the deepest pride in my beloved Mexico, and have always shared it with my friends and acquaintances, and now I feel very honored to share that same pride with a more powerful voice online through Mexico Today.

I invite you to find out more about Mexico Today and each of the 24 contributors (my new Mexican family), Canadian and American writers all, some living in Mexico, some outside.  Please visit us on Facebook, Twitter, and at www.mexicotoday.org (in English, but soon in Spanish and German, too)

Mexico Today: To Mexico…..with love!

Disclosure: My participation as a contributor of Mexico Today includes compensation.  I was invited to an all expenses paid trip to Oaxaca for the launch meeting of the program.  My comments, opinions, and my limitless love for Mexico are my own.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

June 30, 2011 at 11:07 am The Wise Latina Club

Sylvia, you write about México with so much passion and love, México Today was wise to choose you as an ambassador. I was lucky to live in Mexico City in 1999-2000 and experience first hand the riches of your madre patria. Mexican blood may not course through my veins, but my soul is Mexican! México is bursting with human and natural resources. I hope that with continued reforms, combined with experienced voices writing about this proud country and its people, the world begins to see México for what it is and what it has to offer.

June 30, 2011 at 11:14 am Bren

this is so awesome and I’m so excited for the ones of you that I know are a part of the campaign. I’ve been visiting Mexico since I was 2 and just loooove your country!!! I especially fell in love with a small town called Sayulita… I’ve written a lot about Mexico from a food perspective! The culture is so rich, the history is immeasurable and the people are so endlessly kind! Enjoy the campaign. I look forward to seeing more of it through all of the features presented!

June 30, 2011 at 5:20 pm Sujeiry, 1st Lady of Love

Isn’t it great that so many of our blog friends are participating in this campaign?! So proud! As for places in Mexico, unfortunately, I have only been to the tourist locales – Cancun and Riviera Maya. Still, it was a great vacation. From what I have seen, Mexico is a beautiful country!

June 30, 2011 at 12:27 pm Jenny

The way you write about mexico is the way i feel about san diego. you write with such love and passion that i hope to be able to experience mexico someday in the same way you have. thank you for a great post!

June 30, 2011 at 7:37 pm Aurelia Flores

Can’t wait to read what you all have to share about the wonderful and bounteous country of Mexico. I lived in Mexico City for a year over ten years ago, and have had a chance to visit many locales both before, during and after that time (Cancun, Guadalajara, Guanajuato, among others), but there are so many others I still want to see! I will be reading the contributions of all the writers with much interest. So delighted to see your participation in Mexico Today. :)

July 1, 2011 at 6:17 am Carrie at TikiTikiBlog!

Silvia!!! I am so excited by the Mexico Today campaign because I really, really can’t wait to hear more about Mexico from people who love her and know her well.

I never have been (unless you count a 3-hour layover in Cancun) and look forward to my first trip — and going as if I am a native.

Or, I will just go with you!

July 1, 2011 at 11:06 pm Ericka

Mercedes, you have brought back wonderful memories of my Mexico. I dearly miss living there, the wonderful people and of course …the FOOD! Congratulations on such a wonderful ambassadorship. You are the perfect lady for the job!

Saludos!
Ericka

July 1, 2011 at 11:08 pm Ericka

Sorry Silvia, I meant YOU, not Mercedes! ;)