Thanks to the California Milk Processor Board and DiMe media for making this art project possible. As always my comments, opinions and love for DIY projects are my own.
Most kids show interest in art, their faces light up when they are drawing or building something. It is human nature and beautiful to see.
We all encourage our kids to create things, whether it’s writing a story, building with legos, painting, or, as in this case, using recycled materials to create something unique and beautiful.
Since summer is approaching, and many kids will be home during the day, it’s a good idea to start collecting ideas for projects they can do. Today, I want to show you how easy and fast it is to create an artsy, colorful planter using a milk jug.
Here’s the step by step tutorial, followed by a 2-minute video showing how easy it is. Enjoy!
Oh, and I almost forgot, after the project, find out below about two separate, but great, giveaways. First, check out the information about how California families can enter a “Milk and Art Contest” for a chance to win $2,000 through the Toma Leche Facebook page.
Then, find out how California residents can enter for a chance to win a highly regarded, and beautiful, arts and crafts book as well as a $25 gift card to Amazon!
DIY Colorful Planter Using a Jug of Milk
- 1 empty and clean jug of milk (gallon size)
- 1 pen or sharpie
- 1 Exacto knife
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 bottle of Mod Podge
- 1-2 paint brushes
- Tissue paper in various colors
1. Mark the area to cut with the pen or sharpie. Using the Exacto knife, cut a small area following the line you draw. Then finish cutting the jug with the scissors.
2. Decide which is going to be your creation, in our case, as you can see, we decided to create an ocean scene. Ask your kids what they would like to create. There is almost no wrong or right in this project, you can create almost anything.
3. Pour some Mod Podge in a shallow container so it is easier to dip the paint brush in it.
4. Brush all the outside surface of the jug (and a little bit inside close to the top edge) with the Mod Podge, and then cover the whole jug with sky-blue color tissue paper.
5. Add a couple more layers of different colors of blue to create the ocean, using Mod Podge as your glue.
6. We took advantage of the small, round indentation of the jug to create the sun. Cut a few round shapes of orange and yellow, and paste. Cut long pieces to create the sun rays and, using the Mod Podge, glue them to the sun.
7. Create the boats. We added one in the front and one in the back.
8. Add fish if you like.
9. When the design is ready, cover the whole planter with a layer of Mod Podge and let it dry out. Depending on the weather in your area, it can take 1-3 hours. If you are using your planter outside, I would recommend adding 1-2 more layers of Mod Podge.
10. Make a hole in the bottom to allow water to drain. Add soil and your favorite plant.
Now watch, as my son and I create it in this video: (If you are reading this post via email and cannot see the video clip, just click on the title of this post at the top of your email to see the video on my blog, thx)
This giveaway is closed. Thanks to all who participated.
Spending time with your family is fun and helps build a better future for all of us. Would you like to create something fun with your family this summer? California residents can enter this giveaway for the chance to win one (1) copy of The Artful Parent Craft Book (which includes 60+ art projects for children) and one (1) $25 Amazon Gift Card. To participate is easy. Just leave me a comment telling me what you learned today about the Milk and Art Contest. That’s it! That is your required entry.
Would you like more opportunities to win? I have a few of those, too! These entries are optional:
- Subscribe or already be a subscriber to my blog by email or by RSS – 1 entry
- Follow me or already be a follower on Instagram (mamalatina) -1 entry
- Follow me or already be a follower on Pinterest (mamalatinatips)– 1 entry
- Follow Mamá Latina Tips on Google + – 1 entry
- Follow me on Twitter and tweet the following:
CA families enter today for a chance to win 1 $25 Amazon GC & a craft book 4 kids @mamalatina https://bit.ly/1dBe8LE #MilkAndArtContest
(limit: one tweet per day, just please leave me a comment for each with the link of the tweet) 1 entry per tweet.
Please leave me separate comments for your required entry and for each optional entry (1,2, 3, 4, and/or 5), so I know how many entries you have, thanks.
This giveaway will end on Wednesday, June 10th, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. PST. No purchase necessary. Open to residents of the State of California only, 18 years of age or older. The winner will be randomly chosen and notified via email. Winner must respond to notification email within 72 hours or a new winner will be chosen. Void where prohibited. Please, no P.O. Boxes. Entries/Comments that do not follow the submission guidelines will be invalid.