Now that most kids are back to school, it’s a good time to start looking for fun and yummy snack recipes. My kids are always hungry after a long day at school, so I want to try some new recipes this year.
I found these three at Family Fun Magazine and wanted to share them with you (used with permission, of course):
School Bus Sandwich
Isn’t it cute? Here is how to make it:
- Cut a slice of bread into a rectangle, reserving a strip of crust.
- Trim a slice of yellow cheese to fit the bread as shown.
- Cut another slice of cheese for the hood.
- Use the reserved crust for a fender.
- Cut headlights and grill strips from white cheese and set them in place.
- Use the pointy end of a grape tomato for each red light. Slice more tomato into a stop sign and smile.
- Finish with black olive tires, trimmed to lie flat, and pupils (you can use a straw to cut it off).
Here’s an easy recipe to prepare with your kids.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 ounces goat cheese, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Cut 12 1-inch-long strips of red bell pepper.
- Use a vegetable peeler to thinly slice a large cucumber into 12- 1 1/4-inch ribbons.
- For each roll-up, place 1/4 teaspoon of the cheese mixture at one end of a cucumber strip, press a pepper slice on top, and roll.
- Secure the end with a dab of cheese.
Protein and veggies, a great snack for after school.
- Fill celery sections with your child’s favorite tuna salad. Try my (no mayo) Mexican tuna salad.
- Top each with a few thawed frozen peas.
Happy back to school!
Latest posts by Silvia Martinez (see all)
- Ponche Fruit Atole Recipe - March 3, 2023
- Quince Agua Fresca - November 21, 2022
- Yes, I’m Silvia Martinez, Winner of The Great American Recipe. Yay! - July 11, 2022
Estupendas ideas. Me encantaron por su creatividad. Estan especiales para esos niños que son dificiles de comer, como lo son mis nietos. Gracias por compartirlo!