Back by popular demand, here is my list of theaters (in alphabetical order) which offer free, or very cheap, movies for kids this summer, 2016.
Grab a pen, or your phone, or whatever you take notes with, to get these recorded. Remember to arrive at theaters early because, for many of these special offerings, it’s first come, first serve seating
(All details listed below are subject to change without notice, so be sure to check theaters’ websites to stay updated, thanks!)
Summer Kid Series: Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10 am from June 21 to August 17, admission is FREE! For more details, movies, and participating theaters please click here.
Here is the schedule:
- June 21-22: Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- June 28-29: How to Train your Dragon 2
- July 5-6: Big
- July 12-13: Mr. Peabody and Sherman
- July 19-20: The Sandlot
- July 26-27: The Peanuts Movie
- August 2-3: Ramona and Beezus
- August 9-10: Home
- August 16-17: Alvin and the Chipmunks: the Road Chip
Summer Movie Club House: Watch 10 shows for $5 (purchased in advance) or $1 per show at the box office of participating theaters. Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays at 10 a.m. from June 7 to August 30 (dates, times, days and movies vary by city). Click here to check participating theaters, dates and movies in your neck of the woods.
Summer Movie Fun: Harkins Theaters offer one movie a week for 10 consecutive weeks starting on May 30th, at less than $1 dollar per movie. For theaters, movies, dates and more, please visit their website here.
Summer Kids Movie Program: Marquee Cinemas presenta a special selection of family films brought to you each week during the summer at no charge. Visit the Marquee Cinemas website for locations, dates, times, and movies.
Kids’ Summer Film Festival: Every Wednesday and Thursday from June 15 to August 4 at 10 am. Enjoy a movie for a dollar. Visit Maya Cinemas for more information.
Here is the schedule:
- June 15-16: Hotel Transylvania 2
- June 22-23: Goosebumps
- June 29-30: The Smurfs 2
- July 6-7: Alvin and the Chipmunks: the Road Chip
- July 13-14: Home
- July 20-21: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
- July 27-27: Turbo
- August 3-4: The Peanut Movie
Regal Entertainment Group
Summer Movie Express 2016: Runs for 9 weeks from June to August (varies by city). Every Tuesday and Wednesday at 10:00 a.m., watch a movie for $1 (A portion of the proceeds goes to the Will Rogers Institute). Check for details, participating theaters, dates and more at the Summer Movie Express website here. And follow the #smx16 hashtag for updates.
Here’s the schedule:
- Week 1 – Lego Movie – Max
- Week 2 – Goosebumps – The Iron Giant- Signature Edition
- Week 3 – Pan – The Smurfs 2
- Week 4 – Despicable Me 2 – Home
- Week 5 – Minions – The Peanut Movie
- Week 6 – Alvin and the Chipmunks: the Road Chip – Curious George
- Week 7 – The Book of Life – Hotel Transylvania 2
- Week 8 – Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 – Shaun the Sheep
- Week 9 – The Croods – Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax
Showcase Cinemas has a fun and rewarding Summer reading program called Bookworm Wednesday which entitles kids to a free admission to select children’s films when they present a book report at a participating Cinema de lux, Showcase, or Multiplex Cinemas Box office. Visit Showcase Cinemas website right here for more details.
*Adults and children under six accompanying a participating child receive free admission as well and don’t need to submit a book report.
- Ponche Fruit Atole Recipe - March 3, 2023
- Quince Agua Fresca - November 21, 2022
- Yes, I’m Silvia Martinez, Winner of The Great American Recipe. Yay! - July 11, 2022