I always liked school. I didn’t want to leave it, really! But I always felt a little afraid of math and science. I remember having problems with algebra, and physics was a big challenge for me. I don’t want that for my kids and my husband feels the same. So we try to show our kids how math and science can be fun.
Are you familiar with the acronym STEM? It refers to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. I had never heard the term in this context until last week, and I think it’s something all of us moms need to know about. Consider these facts:
• According to the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, the United States will have to produce approximately one million professionals in STEM careers in the next decade if it wants to remain competitive economically.
• Latinos are the fastest growing segment of the US population and workforce, yet the Hispanic share of the STEM workforce increased by only one percentage point from 2000-2009, according to the US Department Of Commerce’s Economics And Statistics Administration.
• According to the New York Academy of Science and the Girls Scouts, women hold only 24% of STEM jobs in the United States.
• Given Hispanics are projected to account for 75 percent of the growth in the nation’s labor force between 2010 and 2020, Latinos completing certificates and degrees in STEM fields will be vital to meeting the national STEM college completion goal.
Now is the time to encourage and inspire our youngsters’ interest and love for STEM subjects. How can we do this? I have a few ideas:
• Be mindful of how we portray STEM subjects to our children, for instance, avoid clichés like, “Math is so hard!” Try saying “Math is fun.”
• Introduce math concepts in a playful way. For example, when making pizza ask, “How many pieces do I need to cut this pizza into if we are 4 and each of us wants two slices?”
• Look for fun books to read that shed a positive light on STEM subjects.
Another idea for the little ones is to watch Matemonstruos together, a Español language series that fosters a love for mathematics. Matemonstruos is a new series from Discovery Familia, a cable channel that strongly believes in the importance of creating an affinity for STEM skills while kids are in their formative years. And not only that, programming is educational and 100% in Español, so if you are like me and are looking to expose your kids to more Español, this is the perfect opportunity.
Here’s a short video for you to get an idea of what Matemonstruos is like (in Español): (If you are reading this post in your email, please click on the link at the top of your email to see the video in my blog post, thanks)
Main characters, Max, Lily and Gú, introduce children to the magical world of counting, measuring, sizing, sorting and exploring shapes and patterns. Great right?
Why not add Matemonstruos, which airs Monday through Friday at 5PM EST/2 PM PST on Discovery Familia, to your calendar right now and watch it along with us?
Now how about a giveaway?
To participate for the chance to win a branded Discovery Familia Goody Bag plus one (1) $20 Target gift card is easy. Just leave me a comment telling me one way you encourage your kids to be interested in science and math. That’s it! That is your required entry.
Would you like more opportunities to win? I have a few of those, too! These entries are optional:
- Subscribe or already be a subscriber to my blog by email or by RSS – 1 entry
- Follow me or already be a follower on Instagram (mamalatina)
- Follow me or already be a follower on Pinterest (mamalatinatips)
- Follow Mamá Latina Tips on Google + – 1 entry
- Follow me on Twitter and tweet the following:
Enter today for the chance to win one #DiscoveryFamilia goody bag with (1) $20 Target GC @mamalatina http://www.mamalatinatips.com/?p=4338
(limit: one tweet per day, just please leave me a comment for each with the link of the tweet) 1 entry per tweet.
Please leave me a separate comment for your required entry and for each optional entry (1,2, 3, 4, and/or 5), so I know how many entries you have, thanks.
This giveaway will end on Monday, Sept 9, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. PST. No purchase necessary. Open to US residents only, 18 years of age or older. Winner will be randomly chosen and notified via email. Winner must respond to notification email within 3 days or a new winner will be chosen. Void where prohibited. Please no P.O. Boxes. Entries/Comments that do not follow the submission guidelines will be invalid.
Have Fun and Good Luck,