This is part of a sponsored campaign with The Motherhood and ConAgra Foods. As always my comments and opinions are my own.
Summertime is here and most kids are out of school. But while that’s great news for many kids, for some, summer presents a special problem: hunger.
You see, during the school year, 21.5 million children rely on free or reduced-price meals to help them keep from going hungry. But when school is out, only 2.3 million children participate in the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP). This means there are millions of children at an increased risk of hunger during the summer.
How You Can Help
The folks at ConAgra Foods have been helping fight child hunger for a number of years now. This year they have a goal of donating up to 3 million meals to Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization. You may have seen their special Child Hunger Ends Here pushpin symbol on many of their products. Well, these packages have a special code.
For each code submitted between now and August 31st, 2013, ConAgra Foods will donate the money equivalent of one meal. You can enter the codes right here on this page using the widget in the right hand column. Just look for where it says “1 code=1 meal.”
Here are a few more ideas:
- Encourage your family and friends to set up a collection box to collect participating non-perishable items, enter the codes (do it here in the right hand column or at www.childhungerendshere.com or here at www.facebook.com/ChildHungerEndsHere) and then take your box of products to your local Feeding America food bank.
- Give your kids a box to decorate, make a list of participating items (see link in giveaway below to find out the participating products), go to the market and ask your kids to help you find the items to purchase, submit the codes, and take your box of food to your local food bank.
- Visit a local food bank with your family in order to volunteer.
To find your local food bank, click here to use a local food bank locator, then just enter your zip code.
As I mentioned in a previous post, some generous artists have been partnering with ConAgra Foods in this campaign- Carly Rae Jepsen, Tori Kelly, Amber Riley and Cody Simpson. You can download free recordings from Amber and Cody here. Plus, you can participate for the chance to win a $40 Visa Gift Card to help you with your shopping and for an Amber Riley autographed lyric sheet! Keep reading for more details.
To enter for a chance to win a $40 Visa gift card and an Amber Riley autographed lyric sheet is easy. Just leave me a comment telling me which of the participating products you are thinking about buying to help this campaign – you can check out the participating products here. That’s it, that is your required entry.
Would you like more opportunities to win? I have a few of those, too! These entries are optional:
- Subscribe or already be a subscriber to my blog by email or by RSS – 1 entry
- Follow me or already be a follower on Instagram (mamalatina)
- Follow me or already be a follower on Pinterest (mamalatinatips)
- Follow Mamá Latina Tips on Google + – 1 entry
- Follow me on Twitter and tweet the following:
Enter today for the chance 2 #win a $40 VisaGC & @MsAmberPRiley autographed lyric sheet @mamalatina https://www.mamalatinatips.com/?p=4031 #ChildHunger
(limit: one tweet per day, just please leave me a comment for each with the link of the tweet) 1 entry per tweet.
Please leave me a separate comment for your required entry and for each optional entry (1,2, 3, 4, and/or 5), so I know how many entries you have, thanks.
This giveaway will end on Monday, July 1st, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. PST. No purchase necessary. Open to US residents only, 18 years of age or older. Winner will be randomly chosen and notified via email. Winner must respond to notification email within 3 days or a new winner will be chosen. Void where prohibited. Entries/Comments that do not follow the submission guidelines will be invalid.
Have fun and good luck!
Finally you can also help this campaign by answering a very short survey. It won’t ask for any personal information, not even your name, and it will take you less than a minute to complete. The questions are regarding whether you already knew about this campaign, here it is.