Black Friday is upon us and Cyber-Monday is dead ahead. So this is a good time to share a few tips about things you can do to help yourself protect both your identity and your money while shopping online this holiday season. I have a little cautionary tale to tell you when we get to item 5, and don’t miss the great announcement at the end of this post. So with those little teasers:
5 tips to keep in mind while shopping online:
- Use Trusted sites: Use sites you trust or come recommended by trusted sources.
- Use secure sites: When you go to check out your “shopping cart” online, sites which have addresses (URLs) that begin with https at checkout, instead of http, are generally more secure. The “s” indicates encryption is being used to help protect your information.
- Be careful about sharing personal information: Before giving too much information, stop before you click and ask yourself, why do they need this information.
- Be careful with public wi-fi: Public wi-fi is not secure generally. Avoid accessing websites which require passwords and usernames while on public wi-fi.
- Monitor your accounts: Read over your credit card statements and bank account statements regularly. Make sure you understand what’s there.
A couple of years ago we were distracted by some family issues that required us to travel back and forth to another city on consecutive weekends for a couple of months in a row. Right at that time a retailer double charged us on a purchase. I’m sorry to say, we didn’t even notice it until the end of the year, about six months later. Normally, we are so vigilant, but we got distracted and missed something big. So, learn from our mistake, monitor your accounts.
Here’s another great tip: Those great folks at Lifelock are hosting a Twitter Party this Friday which includes some great prizes including a $400 Best Buy Gift Card and a 1 year Lifelock Ultimate™ Membership for the Grand Prize! How cool is that? Check out the Lifelock Facebook page for official rules, click here to RSVP and, most importantly, don’t miss it!
Disclosure: I’m a LifeLock Ambassador and as such I am compensated. As always my comments and opinions are my own. Mama Latina Tips Information Purposes Legal Disclosure