Today is Ash Wednesday and Lent is here. We follow the tradition of eating meatless dishes on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent. If you are in search of meatless recipes, you are in the right place, I will bring you one recipe every week, I hope you like them.
Rajas (Poblano Chiles) and Corn
- 2-3 poblanos chiles, peeled and cut in strips (check here to see how to peel poblano chiles)
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels (or one can, without water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoons sour cream or crema mexicana (optional)
- 1 pkg. queso fresco crumbled
- 8-12 tortillas or tostadas
Heat the oil in a medium sized pan over high heat. Add the onions and cook them until soft (approx. 5 minutes) lower temperature to medium and add the chiles, corn, salt and pepper. Mix well and cook about 5-8 minutes or until corn is soft. Remove from stove and add the cream (if you like).
Warm the tortillas and top with mixture, then top with queso fresco. If you like spicy foods, you may want to put some salsa on top, like my avocado salsa. Serve with white rice, or refried beans, or both. You can also use tostadas instead of tortillas.