“Heart disease is the primary cause of death among Latinas in the United States. Any one of us could have a predisposition to heart disease. That is why we need to become informed, get our medical check-ups, be willing to change our lifestyles and always listen to our hearts,” states Jeannette Torres-Álvarez, Discovery Familia’s ambassador.
As I have mentioned before, February is the Heart Month and Discovery Familia, the Español language network, is launching the “Escucha tu Corazón” (Listen To Your Heart) initiative in collaboration with The Heart Truth® campaign to raise awareness about heart disease in women. The campaign includes:
1. Special on air programming like “Sábados médicos” (Medical Saturdays) every Saturday in February at 10 p.m. EST including:
- Cardiovascular Disease programs, (2/11)
- The documentary entitled, The First Heart Transplant, (2/18) hosted by renowned surgeon Dr. Mehmet Oz
- and new episodes of the series, Surgery Saved My Life, (2/25).
2. Public service announcements featuring Jeannette Torres-Alvarez with information on risk factors and ways to prevent heart disease. They will broadcast during the network´s nighttime programming.
3. The microsite www.discoveryfamilia.com will provide helpful tools and specific information on cardiovascular disease, prevention tips, facts, videos, as well as a direct link to The Heart Truth® campaign.
Finally, Jeannette will be representing hispanic women by walking the runway at the Red Dress Collection 2012 Fashion Show scheduled to air tomorrow, February 8th, at 7 p.m. in New York City. Watch it on Discovery Familia!